18 Nov 2014

Sewing my rococo two-piece



During the summer I was drooling over Mary Magdalene dresses and also Victorian Maiden. I happened upon the MM website a day after they had released new sets of amazing things and what did I see? All sold out (_;) So I decided to not hunt for something I just can't have, and sew up something myself (also, I seriously lack the coin for even second hand brand clothes no matter how gorgeous).

The most I wanted Victorian Maiden's jsk, the Fairy Check Doll dress, it's just perfect for me, simple and elegant, not too much and not too little going on in that dress. I could wear it fancy or just casual, because of the possibility of making a few tweaks on the appearance of the dress. So I decided to make a dress inspired by the Fairy Check Doll dress.

I was going to use a minty blue cotton fabric with flower prints for this (which I had purchased some while ago), but I suddenly came across the perfect fabric when wandering about Eurokangas (how on earth did I get there?) and I just couldn't leave the fabric behind! And though I was not into flowers before lolita, surprisingly enough, this fabric also has flower patterns on it, third one already and in such a short time too. I think they're just growing on me, soon I'll be sprouting flowers from everywhere (◡‿◡✿)



The fabric was just screaming rococo at me (along with TAKE ME!) so I had to listen to what it said and change my original plans. So after finding the perfect fabric for rococo inspired dress I had to come up with new designs for it and ended up with a two-piece so it would be more versatile. I just had the feeling it would be too fancy for everyday wear if it was a one piece, so I came up with the idea for a blouse and skirt instead. I had an old secondhand blouse with a corset lace-up on the back so it required no zipper (which was ideal for rococo), and I found the perfect design for the sleeves in a photo of one of Victorian Maiden's dresses. So now all I had to do was come up with the patterns based on those. Oh boy, such fun conjuring up patterns out of thin air... Well, I skipped a step or two and cut the fabric in a touchy-feely way using only measurements. 


Also I used the fabric "inside-out", because I loved the colours better that way. The only difference between the "back side" and the "right side" is the colour fading, the fabric and print quality is very good either way :3


Here's the skirt cut out.

  The top.

And sleeves.

And ready! The top can be pulled over head, so no zippers needed.

The skirt has a little shirring at the back and a zipper on the side.

 It can be tweaked with in-built ribbons.




I am so happy with how it all looks, just so perfect! Worth the trouble of sewing it, and the cost also is much less than buying the whole thing ready-made. I really didn't make any patterns, I just cut the fabric and it turned out like this. Which is kind of a bummer now that I think about it, because if I ever wanted to remake this 2-piece I'd have to re-invent the patterns (_;) Oh well, I'll probably end up with a different design next time anyway :3 Oh, and in the next post I will be wearing the dress for my birthday party!

2 comments:

  1. It's really beautiful, I hadn't guessed that you had made it yourself before this post, nor that it is in two pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't actually planned making it at all until I saw the fabric. I always loved those Marie Antoinette dresses, so this was the perfect chance to have one for myself (☆^ー^☆)

      Delete